Italian Stromboli ~ A Make Ahead Meal
For as long as I’ve know Nick, I’ve been searching for a good pizza dough recipe and just haven’t found one that I loved. Until now!
Trying recipe after recipe was getting pretty exhausting and I was ready to just give up and (enter gasp here) buy store bought!! Then I found Mama’s Best Pizza Dough and I was saved from that shameful idea!
Besides being absolutely delicious, it makes a ton! Like four huge pizzas or two hug pizzas and two loaves of bread.
It’s also extremely versatile! I could come up with so many different ways to use this dough.
Today I decided was a stromboli kind of day! 16 stromboli’s to be exact! Perfect to make ahead for quick meals or lunches.
You can put just about anything in them, but I decided to make them Italian hoagie style!
Pin Me For Later!!
Makin’ The Dough
I stuck to the original recipe, for the most part. I found that it needed a bit more flour than they called for, but that could just be from humidity.
What do you need?
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6-8 cups flour (This is what I changed. 7 cups wasn’t quite enough.)
How we do it!
- Add your warm water to a mixing bowl (I used my KitchenAid Mixer).
- Add the yeast, stir in and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. There will be bubbles on the surface.
- With your whisk attachment (or a whisk!) mix in the sugar, salt and 2-3 cups of flour.
- Once it starts to look like a batter, switch to your dough hook, or a wooden spoon, and gradually begin to add the remaining flour.
- Knead the dough, adding the flour, until you have a sticky dough, but not sticky enough to stick to your finger. (About 6-7 minutes.)
- Remove the dough hook and allow it to rest for ten minutes.
Let’s Make Stromboli!
What do you need?
- That pretty ball of dough!
- deli ham
- shredded mozzarella
- red onion
- banana peppers
Let’s make ’em!
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Quarter the dough, over and over, until you have 16 pieces. They will be about the size of your fist.
- Roll them out thin. About an 8-10 inch long rectangle.
- Load it with your stuff!
- Now you need to wrap it up like a burrito (an Italian burrito, sounds amazing!) and place it on a baking sheet. I like stone, like this.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!
[mv_create key=”23″ type=”recipe” title=”Italian Stromboli ~ From Dough To Dinner” thumbnail=”https://www.achickandhergarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/stromboli-title.jpg”]